Dished Up: A Whole Lot Of Apples







Today we welcome Cassie back to Tadpegs. You have met her before when she wrote about the crocheted camera case and this is the first in a series of posts Cassie will be writing about food we are calling 'Dished Up'. Enjoy!

I am a girl who LOVES summer so it is really good for me to be reminded of the joys of autumn to ward off those post summer blues. A friend helped with this recently as she gave me a lovely large bag of apples from the tree in her garden. So one beautifully sunny afternoon I sat in my garden and set to work peeling them.

The husband loves stewed apples so I just threw most of them in a big pot with a glass or two of water and cooked them down. I like my apples quite tart so I didn't add any sugar until they were all cooked and then added some to taste. make sure you keep an eye on the apples though and stir them regularly other wise they will catch on the pan.

I filled couple of tubs with the apple and put them in the freezer ready to pull out and whip into a crumble when we're entertaining over the winter. Some was reserved just to eat that night and I even had some cream in the fridge for the more decadent (and fast metabolismed) in the family to have with theirs.

I also used some of the apples to make a Squidgy Spiced Apple Cake. You can find the recipe here. In fact I made two. It was really easy to make and came out deliciously moist and tasty. I served one at our church house group and it went down a treat. The other is in the freezer all ready for our Nearly Christmas Mini Craft Fair which you'll hear about in a few weeks.


Thankfully there was a piece left for me to sit down after a morning running around with the tinkers and enjoy with a cup of tea. Cassie xx

2 comments :

  1. Hey Cassie and Zoe!
    LOVELY BLOG - Adore apples as do all the family! I have a huge Lidl bag of apples from my Mum in the larder and you reminder me I need to get on with the peeling. Crumble to make for poorly friend and family we are visiting on Saturday (Jamie Oliver's version with stem ginger and oats is wonderful).. and like you Cassie I'll do the rest to freeze for apple sauces, cakes and the like.
    Will look up your scrummy looking cake...
    Thanks for reminding and inspiring me. (love the pic with the peelings in too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake looks lovely! Wish I had an apple tree (: but might have to make this anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...