Let's Talk ISO

ISO is pretty important. It is one of three elements that make up the exposure triangle. This is quite tricky to demonstrate with photos so you will have to look closely at the pictures below. First off a photo taken with the lowest ISO setting on my camera (100):

The low ISO setting gives a lovely smooth photo. The details are sharp and the blur is smooth. This is exactly what to look for in good photo. Now take a look (a very close one) to the below photo taken with the highest ISO setting on my camera (3200):

Now admittedly you have to look closely to see the difference but its most obvious in the background. The blur, which is supposed, to be smooth is a little grainy.

Now I hear you ask a question here, if a high ISO makes a photo grainy why would you ever use that setting? Now this is a good question because in natural light (the best kind) a low ISO setting is perfect and gives the best results. However when you set your camera to a higher ISO it becomes more sensitive to low light levels. This means when it is darker in the shadows or you are taking photos at night using a higher ISO can result in more details appearing in your photo.

So remember this:
Low ISO = Less grainy photo, great for good light
High ISO = More grainy photo, great for low light

A time to use a slightly higher ISO would be if you have to shoot inside, for example at a wedding or family gathering or you are photographing your home. You may need to use an even higher ISO if you are at an evening or night party and need the maximum sensitivity to light, your photos will be a little grainier but the overall outcome will be better.

Take a look at my post on the exposure triangle if you want to see how ISO works in balance with shutter speed and aperture. Zoe x

5 comments :

  1. Hi Zoe,
    Thanks for sharing this important little setting.
    Quick question, maybe even your next topic. I have been having the hardest time capturing all of the colors of sunsets on water. We have taken a few cruises and have tried with different lens filters and settings but just can't seem to get the right setting to capture the full spectrum of color in the sun sets and rises. I can get better pictures from the camera on the iPhone than my SLR.

    Thanks Again,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Paul, I hope you are enjoying photo friday. I am not a professional photographer so I am sharing as I learn. Have you tried using a landscape filter? This is when the top half is shaded to block some light from the sky and balance the photograph better. Also make sure you are setting the white balance for each photograph. It is hard to know more without know what camera setting you are using. I hope this helps, if not let me know and I can try and look into it more for you. Zoe

      Delete
  2. Hi Zoe :) I really like your Photo Friday series! I recently attended a SLR photo course, so lately I've been all about taking photos and practicing. So this series is just perfect! I've actually been considering starting my own selfie challenge inspired by ABM, like you wrote about in one of your first photo posts :) Have you continued taking selfies, or was it only that one week? I'll try to check in next Friday, it's always fun to learn more! :)

    xo
    Camilla
    kapteinmoe.blogspot.no

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla, I have actually stopped this series now sorry! I am going to write about photography still sometimes but I found doing it every friday was restrictive on what else I wrote about and didn't leave me enough time for sewing and other crafts. I take most of the photos of myself for the blog though so I guess I do still take selfies (still feel silly when I do). If there is anything you'd like to learn about in particular though ask away and I can look into writing a post about it. x

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's too bad! Oh, well, I really understand you, though! It's important to have time for all those other projects one want to complete during the week :) I have so many projects I want to work on and so little time to dedicate myself to actually do it, so I know the feeling! I'll still check out your other photo posts, and I'll leave you a comment if I have any more questions :) Thank you!

      xo
      Camilla

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...