Christmas Dresses Made For Two



Happy Christmas!

Too early? Well I have no problem with preparing for Christmas in November. In fact I originally planned to make this dress in October but then my fabric took a little while to arrive and then I had tonsillitis. I missed the deadline for the By Hand London's Hackathon but decided to hack-along any way.

So let me start with my dress:




The bodice is the holly jumpsuit bodice pattern. I loved the fit of this pattern on my tartan playsuit, flattering but not too tight and thought it would be perfect with a skirt for Christmas. I lost a little weight when I was ill so it's actually a little looser than I thought but it's pretty good. I probably need the extra space for Christmas Turkey any way.

I have fully lined the bodice, partly because the sequin fabric was quite itchy but also because it was a little see-through. I basically used this method for constructing the dress with the full lining. I lined with the viscose-rayon that I have made the skirt from. I loved working with this fabric, it has a lovely drapey and soft feel and it was pretty easy to work with. I wouldn't recommend it for a total beginner but if you are looking for something to sew with after a bit of practice with cotton it would be a good way to go.

The skirt is a full circle skirt so, of course, it is perfect for spinning:

And my daughter loved the spinning part too. So that brings me to her dress. I only bought 1m of the sequin fabric but it was more than enough to make the bodice and sleeves for mine and a mini bodice for a 3 year old. She has been so excited about this dress and I let her help me cut out the pattern pieces and do some of the sewing. Well I let her press down on the peddle while I guided the fabric through the machine but she thought she had made it all. Every one was happy.

Her dress bodice is from a book on making children's clothes that I've had for ages but not used much. The skirt is a half circle skirt, still good for spinning even if not quite as good as a full circle.

I also added a little flower to the waistband of her dress and hers doesn't have sleeves. I wanted it to be similar but not exactly the same. Now I just need to get her some sparkly shoes to wear with it.

So that is two dresses made ready to wear at Christmas. It was also a goal of mine to make something sparkly after Me-Made-May so I can tick another thing of that list too. 

I have a very small amount of the sequin fabric left and my sons want me to make them sparkly bow ties, what do you think - will it be too much? Well obviously I'll show you if I do. Happy Christmas! Hehe. Zoe x

4 comments :

  1. Your daughters dress is so damn cute!! i love it!! I love the two dresses actually they look to have worked out really well :-). You should deff make the bow ties :-)... and merry christmas to you too :-P xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks, such a cute person deserves a cute dress. They have turned out much better than I thought, I was pretty nervous about that fabric. I'll get on the bow ties soon I think. Probably should do some christmas shopping first though. x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dresses! I love the blue sparkle fabric. The simple pattern really makes the dress look elegant without being too fussy. Your daughter's dress is adorable too. I'm working on a Christmas dress for my daughter but I won't have a matching one. I might make my son a coordinating top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO talented Zoe B!!! LOVE your Christmas dresses and design... feeling inspired :) Miss you all loads X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...